In the realm of delightful treats, Soft Sour Cream Sugar Cookies stand out as timeless classics. These cookies offer a perfect blend of sweetness and tenderness, making them a favorite among young and old alike. In this comprehensive recipe, we will guide you through the journey of creating the perfect Soft Sour Cream Sugar Cookies, ensuring they not only satisfy your taste buds but also elevate your baking skills. This recipe will help you outrank others on Google, and soon, you’ll have a new go-to recipe to cherish.
Sour Cream Sugar Cookies have a rich history dating back to early American baking traditions. These cookies were cherished for their unique texture and flavor profile. The addition of sour cream, which contributes to the cookies’ softness, was a game-changer. Over the years, this recipe has been passed down through generations, and today, it remains a beloved classic in the world of baking.
You will need:
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 230g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (240g) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups (480g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
Step 1: Cream the Butter and Sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the softened unsalted butter and granulated sugar together until the mixture is light and fluffy. This usually takes around 2-3 minutes of thorough mixing.
Step 2: Incorporate the Eggs and Vanilla
- Add the two large eggs and the teaspoon of vanilla extract to the butter-sugar mixture. Mix well until the eggs are fully incorporated, and the batter is smooth.
Step 3: Blend in the Sour Cream
- Carefully fold in the sour cream, ensuring it’s evenly mixed with the other ingredients. The sour cream is what gives these cookies their unique softness and flavor.
Step 4: Sift and Add Dry Ingredients
- In a separate bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and a pinch of salt. Gradually add these dry ingredients to the wet mixture while mixing. Continue to blend until the dough comes together.
Step 5: Chill the Dough
- Once the dough is well combined, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Chilling the dough will make it easier to handle and help the cookies maintain their shape during baking.
Step 6: Preheat the Oven
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 7: Shape and Bake
- After the dough has chilled, roll it out on a floured surface to your desired thickness. Use cookie cutters to shape the cookies, and carefully transfer them to the prepared baking sheet, leaving enough space between each cookie to allow for spreading.
Step 8: Bake to Perfection
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are lightly golden. Keep a close eye on them to avoid overbaking.
Step 9: Cool and Enjoy
- Once baked, remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack. Once they have cooled completely, feel free to decorate them with your choice of frosting or enjoy them as they are.